A simple yet delicious summer snack!
Prep time: Approx. 15 min.
Oven temp: Broil
This is a simple idea for what to do with those summer vegetables! Something very special my beautiful Sicilian wife came up with in the kitchen! I am blessed! Zucchini slices with Tomatoes, Onions, Basil and Mozzarella Cheese is really quite wonderful together!
Zucchini with Tomato Appetizer Ingredients:
- 1 Large Zucchini
- Several garden fresh Roma tomatoes
- Several Baby Onions (Also known as Pearl Onions)
- Some fresh basil leaves
- 8 oz. Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese (Polly-O brand) (You might not use the whole pack of cheese, but you can snack on what did not make it on the appetizers)
- Salt and Pepper
- Note: The amount noted above can very depending on how many of these yummy appetizers you want to make.
* This is the easiest recipe I have on the entire website. It’s just a simple snack to make with fresh vegetables from your garden that is delicious!
Wash and slice 2 large Zucchini. Slice them pretty thin and leave the skin on.
Wash and chop up fresh Basil strips. Wash and slice Roma Tomatoes and Baby Onions. Slice the onion very thin.
Grate the Mozzarella Cheese onto a plate. You will use this to sprinkle on top of your appetizer creation 🙂
Now it’s time to build the appetizers. Get a cookie sheet and line it with aluminum foil. Spray the aluminum foil with oil. Then add raw Zucchini slices side by side until the cookie sheet is full. Then sprinkle salt over all Zucchini slices.
Add slices of tomatoes. You want to try and match up diameters so the size of the tomato slices are slightly smaller than the size of the Zucchini slices. The Roma tomatoes are a perfect size for this. You want this to look nice! Then add strips of fresh basil on top of the tomatoes. Now add a little fresh ground pepper to each slice.
Add very thin slices of baby onions on top of the tomatoes. Then sprinkle on grated Mozzarella Cheese.
Put the cookie sheet on the top rack and broil for approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Or until the cheese has melted and has a few brown spots here and there. Keep on eye on these when cooking. You don’t want to burn them. When done, set them out to cool. Then serve. A wonderful appetizer!
That’s it you’re done…Easy as Pie!